Many factors need to be considered to determine the price of a new roof. These factors include the size, pitch, layers of shingles or if you require new decking. For a commitment-free quote, please contact us.
The following things may indicate that your roof needs replacing:
- Missing, cracked or curling roof shingles
- Decay of roof shingles, sheathing or house siding
If your ceiling has cracked, peeled, has stains or you have leakage in the attic after heavy rains, it could be related to roof damage that would require repair. You may have a leak surrounding your skylight or fireplace that would only require proper sealing and/or minor repair. A thorough inspection of your roof would determine whether a repair or complete re-roof would be needed.
Depending on the size of your roof, a new roof can take up to two days. The time involved is substantially affected by current weather as well.
- Once you select the shingle type and color, we will schedule your products to arrive, no more than two days prior to installation.
- The day your project begins, make arrangements to move vehicles out of the garage and driveway onto the street or another alternative location to prevent being blocked.
- Remove expensive pictures, art, etc. from your walls because they could be knocked off due to vibrations.
- Our crew will require an electrical outlet. Project managers will ensure any necessary information is discussed with the home owner prior to the project beginning.
- You can expect our crew to drive two or three vehicles that will be on the job site, along with a large debris trailer.
- Remember that during the re-roofing process, your home will be an active construction zone and conditions may seem unfavorable and intimidating. Not to worry; we will ensure your home and roof will be beautiful once complete.
- At the end of the re-roofing process, gutters will be cleaned, the ground will be cleared, any landscaping will remain in tact and magnets will be used throughout your yard, driveway and sidewalks.
- Your project manager will arrange for final inspection. At this time, any questions or concerns can be brought to them at this time.
- Your insurance agent should be called to report possible loss or damage that you think would cause need for a roof inspection due to roof damage.
- You would then need to call a roofing contractor, such as Summit Roofing & Exteriors, as soon as possible.
- To review damages and ensure your needs are met at an agreeable price, your insurance adjuster and your contractor should meet.
- Your mortgage company should be called to advise them of your claim and inquire about draft endorsements, contractors affidavits and lien releases.
- Once the project has been reviewed and scheduled and all parties involved are okay with the terms, work should begin immediately.
- Once the project is completed and you are 100% satisfied with the work, you should expect to pay the balance of your first proceeds, plus your deductible.
- Upon receipt of the invoice from our office showing the job is complete, you can file for the depreciation amount.
- Keep all documentation in a safe place and treat it as you would any warranty information.
- Gutters are sagging from the weight and debris inside of them
- Plants are growing inside of your gutters
- Rainwater spillover from your gutters resembles a waterfall
- Animals and birds are nesting in your gutters
Keep in mind that damaged old gutters or downspouts can cause damage to siding or facia and produce rot.
Facia boards run horizontally under a roof edge. Seams should be lined with the rafters that protect the ends from water damage. It is a common area that can be damaged and may need to be repaired.
Wood on the exterior of the home will likely fall prey to rot at some point. Wood and water are a bad combination. The first tip is to discover the cause of the rotted wood. If it is a lack of paint, stain and sealer then the wood might need to be painted or stained more often. Be sure your gutters are checked because damage to gutters or downspouts might cause damage to any wood surrounding them.
Attic ventilation is very important in the Midwest where the summer humidity and winter dryness is overwhelming. The change in temperature requires a lot of movement in your attic, causing your attic to be susceptible to mold.
Good ventilation is needed and a ridge vent is a good solution to allow warm air to escape. The ridge vent uses mechanical fans, or side opening vents, to draw in cooler, denser air. Soffit vents, or eaves vents, on the underside roof overhang is also an easy way to add ventilation. The soffit vents allow cooler air to enter the attic through the lowest point and are often slotted or meshed to keep critters out. Maintenance to these vents could be required depending on the age of your home in order to reduce pesky animals from living in your attic, or mold to find a climate to grow.